How to Insure your GMC Jimmy V1500 on the Cheap
If buying auto insurance was as easy as it sounds on TV commercials, we'd have no problem getting the lowest rates. But the reality is, you probably don't enjoy it and you think it costs too much. You probably feel the same way when trying to find cheaper coverage for your GMC Jimmy V1500.
Step One: Compare Multiple Rate Quotes
Up until about ten years ago, the only way to shop for car insurance was in the office of a local insurance agent where you'd get a hard sell into a policy. Now you can compare rates and buy a policy online!
Almost every car insurance company now offers online quotes, and you can actually get insurance quotes for a GMC Jimmy V1500 without even visiting their websites!
Simply click the link below to start a quote that will compare rates from many companies and you may find a lower rate than you're currently paying.
Read this (it's important)! When doing any car insurance quote to compare rates to either your existing policy or to other quotes, it's important to use identical coverages on all quotes. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately determine which company has the lowest rate for your Jimmy V1500.
Step Two: Insider Tips for Finding Cheaper Jimmy V1500 Insurance
If you have completed step one above (if not, please complete that step first), then you are now ready to learn some ways to insure your Jimmy V1500 that will also lower the rate you pay irregardless of which company you choose.
- If you're over the age of 55, check to see if you qualify for a senior citizen discount. Qualification age may vary by company
- How is your credit rating? The better credit you have, the less insurance will cost for your Jimmy V1500. If you have bad credit, work on improving your credit score and repair past credit problems.
- SUV's tend to have slightly higher insurance rates due to the fact that you can take them offroad and they have a more complex drive train system.
- If your city or county offers a driver's safety course, find out if your insurance company will give you a discount to complete it. It could save you up to 10%.
- Safety features such as passive restraints and air bag systems help reduce injuries in and accident, and car insurance companies will charge lower rates if these features are present.
- Higher deductibles save money. If you can afford to pay a larger portion of a comprehensive or collision claim, you will pay substantially less for those coverages if you increase your deductibles to $500 or even $1,000.
- Insurance companies pay attention to which vehicles are stolen the most, so if your car is frequently targeted by thieves, chances are good you will pay more for insurance if you live in certain parts of the country.
- Small claims that may only exceed your physical damage deductibles by a small amount are better off not being submitted to your company. Just pay the extra hundred dollars or two and keep a claim-free discount on your policy.
- If you rent rather than own a home, you may be paying more for car insurance. Homeowners often get lower rates.
- If you have a speeding ticket or other moving violation, you could be charged more for insurance. If you get a ticket, find out if your county or state offers a defensive driving course that will void the ticket upon completion.
- If you're a young driver, you will pay more to insure a Jimmy V1500. There isn't anything you can do about your age, but rates will drop as you mature.
- Never allow one policy to expire without having a new policy effective the same date. This causes a lapse in coverage and if you don't have insurance for any length of time, your next policy will cost you more.
Step Three: Purchase a New Policy
Now that you hopefully have several rates to compare and have made any changes needed to your individual coverages, you can choose the best company to insure your Jimmy V1500 with.
You can cancel a policy at any time, but just remember to make the effective date of the replacement policy the exact same as the date you cancel your old policy. You do not want any gaps in coverage between policies.
If the GMC Jimmy V1500 is a new purchase and you already have car insurance, then you will have some coverage that extends to the vehicle. But if you let your old policy lapse or have never had coverage, you don't have any protection once you buy the vehicle. When driving off the lot, you may have coverage that extends from your current policy. But it will only be equal to the most coverage you have on any vehicle. So if you only carry liability coverage, you won't be covered for full coverage until you specify it on your policy.
Your insurance company will provide you with proof-of-insurance forms to keep in your vehicle. It's required by state law to carry at least the state minimum liability limits. High risk drivers may be required to submit an SR-22 with their state DMV's. If you have been convicted of reckless driving, DUI or had an uninsured accident, you may qualify. Make sure your new policy reflects the need for the SR-22 filing.
More Resources for Insurance Buying
To read more about filing a claim, choosing replacement parts, rental car insurance and more, visit the Insurance Information Institute.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates