How to Insure your GMC K1500 Pickup on the Cheap
If buying auto insurance was as easy as it sounds on TV commercials, we'd have no problem getting the lowest rates. But most likely we pay more than we want to and don't really enjoy the buying process. Buying insurance on your GMC K1500 Pickup might leave you feeling the same way.
Step One: Compare Multiple Rate Quotes
The old way of buying car insurance was to make multiple trips to various local agents and get strong armed into a policy that didn't necessarily fit you. Thanks to the internet, insurance shopping is a whole lot easier!
You can compare insurance rates for a GMC K1500 Pickup simply and quickly just by filling out one form. This allows you to quote the same coverages with multiple companies and pick the lowest rate.
To compare rates now, have your current policy handy (if you have one) and click the link below. Complete the short form and move on to step two.
Read this (it's important)! When doing any car insurance quote to compare rates to either your existing policy or to other quotes, it's important to use identical coverages on all quotes. Otherwise you will not be able to accurately determine which company has the lowest rate for your K1500 Pickup.
Step Two: How to Lower your K1500 Pickup Insurance Premium
If you have completed step one above (if not, please complete that step first), then you are now ready to learn some ways to insure your K1500 Pickup that will also lower the rate you pay irregardless of which company you choose.
- If you carry full coverage on your vehicle, you can slash your rates by increasing your comprehensive and collision deductibles. You'll pay more out-of-pocket but you will save with every renewal.
- One of the best ways to lower your insurance rates is to raise your credit score. Check your rating once a year and make sure to address any problem areas immediately.
- If your insurance company allows driver-specific car rating, you can save money by rating any teenage drivers on low profile vehicles with either no physical damage coverage or very high deductibles.
- If your teen driver has completed a driver's education class in school, check to see if your insurance company offers any discounts for this.
- If you think the only financial impact of a speeding ticket is a fine and court costs, think again. Insurance companies will raise your rates for up to three years for a single ticket.
- Having any gaps in coverage (known as a lapse) is bad in the eyes of any insurance company. Make sure you keep coverage in force at all times by synchronizing the expiration and effective dates of your policies.
- Safety features such as antilock brakes, traction control and air bag systems all help reduce the cost of car insurance by keeping the passengers safer.
- If you are a renter rather than a homeowner, you might pay a little more to insure your car. Owning a home takes financial repsonsibility and insurance companies reward those policy holders.
- Try to maintain a claim-free discount on your car insurance policy. Obviously you can't prevent large claims, but if they are smaller and you can afford to pay them out-of-pocket, do so.
- Insurance companies often give discounts to senior citizens and professional organizations, so if you're one of those, check to see if you qualify.
- For some reason, car theives target particular makes and models more than others. If your K1500 Pickup is on the list of the top stolen cars, you might want to install an extra theft deterrent system just to be safe.
Step Three: Make an Informed Buying Decision
Choosing a new car insurance company is not easy. But hopefully you have a handful of quotes for your K1500 Pickup that will give you a good idea of how much it will cost, as well as some idea of any coverage changes you may want to make.
On your new policy, double check that the effective date is the same as the date you are cancelling your old policy. This avoids any lapse in coverage which can cause an increase in your rates.
If you already have a car insurance policy, then your GMC K1500 Pickup will be covered as soon as your purchase it. If this is your first vehicle, you will want to make sure you have coverage in place as soon as your purchase it. Your existing car insurance policy will give you some coverage if you buy a new or used K1500 Pickup, but unless you are already paying for full coverage, you won't have it until you add the vehicle to your policy.
At the end of buying your policy, you will be able to print out a new proof-of-insurance card to place in your vehicle. This card is required by law and must be produced if requested by law enforcement. Depending on your state's statutes, you may be required to file an SR-22 form if you've been convicted of an uninsured accident, DUI or license suspension. Make sure your new company is aware of this requirement and files it promptly.
More Educational Resources
To read more about filing a claim, choosing replacement parts, rental car insurance and more, visit the Insurance Information Institute.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates