Penny Pincher's Guide to Insuring a GMC K2500 Pickup
If finding cheaper car insurance was fun, we'd make the time to do it regularly. But we always seem to pay too much for coverage and most people would rather go to the dentist. Finding affordable coverage for your GMC K2500 Pickup probably is no different.
Step One: Compare Apples-to-Apples Quotes
If you haven't shopped for car insurance for awhile you might remember the days when the only option was to visit a local insurance agent. Now you can compare rates and buy a policy online!
Comparing apples-to-apples price quotes for your GMC K2500 Pickup is made easy by only requiring one form to be completed. This will shop your coverage with multiple companies and allow you to easily compare rates.
To compare rates now, have your current policy handy (if you have one) and click the link below. Complete the short form and move on to step two.
Important Tip! In order to accurately compare rates for your K2500 Pickup, it's critical that you use the same limits and deductibles for liability and physical damage coverages like comprehensive and collision. If you use different limits, you will not be able to accurately compare rates between carriers.
Step Two: Techniques to Lower your K2500 Pickup Insurance Rates
There are many factors that actually determine what you will pay for insurance, and some are completely within your control.
- If you're over the age of 55, check to see if you qualify for a senior citizen discount. Qualification age may vary by company
- If you're not sure what your credit rating is, check it now. Car insurance companies use your credit score to determine the rates you pay, so the better your credit, the less you will pay.
- The time it takes to complete a driver's safety training course could be time well spent. It could save you up to 10% off your car insurance rates.
- The advancement of car safety features such as traction control, stability control, front and side-impact air bags and all-wheel drive all help keep insurance costs down.
- Comprehensive and collision coverages make up the majority of your car insurance bill. If you raise your deductibles, you can will see significant savings with every policy renewal.
- For some reason, car theives target particular makes and models more than others. If your K2500 Pickup is on the list of the top stolen cars, you might want to install an extra theft deterrent system just to be safe.
- Small claims that may only exceed your physical damage deductibles by a small amount are better off not being submitted to your company. Just pay the extra hundred dollars or two and keep a claim-free discount on your policy.
- If you own a home, you may get a break on your car insurance. Home ownership demonstrates financial responsibility.
- A single speeding ticket can cost you several hundreds of dollars over the next three years thanks to increased car insurance rates. Slow down and drive safely.
- Teenage drivers can be very expensive to insure on newer vehicles will full coverage. You may be better off purchasing an older vehicle for your teenager and only insure it for liability.
- Allowing your insurance to lapse for any length of time will increase the cost of a new policy. Always keep coverage in force.
Step Three: Buy the Policy That's Right for You
Car insurance is pretty easy to buy online, but you do need to be aware that it is a legally binding contract. You need to have funds available for a down payment as well as review your coverages for any insufficiencies.
If you're cancelling an old policy, make sure the new coverage starts the same day your old policy ends. This avoids any penalty for having a lapse in coverage which can cost you more.
If the GMC K2500 Pickup is a new purchase and you already have car insurance, then you will have some coverage that extends to the vehicle. But if you let your old policy lapse or have never had coverage, you don't have any protection once you buy the vehicle. Coverage that extends from an existing policy is only as good as your current coverage. So if you don't carry full coverage on any vehicles, you won't have it on your new K2500 Pickup.
Once you finish buying your new policy, you will need to print out the proof-of-insurance card that is provided by your new company. This card is proof that you meet the state's minimum liability limits and is required to be kept in your vehicle. If you have received a DUI, reckless driving citation or caused an accident without insurance, you may be required to file an SR-22 with your state DMV. Make sure your new company is aware of the SR-22 filing requirement.
The Insurance Information Institute has a great resource of car insurance articles where you can learn more about coverages and money saving tips. Visit iii.org.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates