Step-by-step Guide to Cheaper GMC Sierra 1500 Classic Insurance
If buying car insurance was fun, we'd do it as a recreational sport. But most likely we pay more than we want to and don't really enjoy the buying process. You might feel the same pain when having to pay the bill on your GMC Sierra 1500 Classic.
Step One: Insurance Quotes
Up until just recently, the only option you had for shopping for insurance was getting a high pressure sales pitch in the office of your local insurance agent. Welcome to the NEW way to buy car insurance!
All the major car insurance companies sell insurance for a GMC Sierra 1500 Classic and you don't even have to visit each individual website!
To start saving, have your current policy handy and click the link below. Our short form makes it easy to enter your information and compare rates.
Insurance Quoting Tip! The only way to accurately compare rates bewteen different companies for your Sierra 1500 Classic is to use identical coverage limits on all the quotes. If you use different liability limits and/or deductibles, you won't have an apples-to-apples rate comparison.
Step Two: How to Lower your Sierra 1500 Classic Insurance Premium
Once you have quotes in hand, you can then consider some of the other techniques for lowering your Sierra 1500 Classic insurance rates.
- How's your credit score? If it's good you will pay a lower rate than your poor credit counterparts. Work on improving weak credit and you will eventually see your car insurance bill go down.
- Higher deductibles save money. If you can afford to pay a larger portion of a comprehensive or collision claim, you will pay substantially less for those coverages if you increase your deductibles to $500 or even $1,000.
- If you have tended to file small claims with your car insurance company in the past, you're most likely going to pay higher premiums in the future. Consider paying minor claims out-of-pocket instead of blemishing your claim history.
- Insurance companies often give discounts to senior citizens and professional organizations, so if you're one of those, check to see if you qualify.
- Speeding not only costs you a fine, a single ticket will raise your car insurance rates for up to three years. Slow down and be a safe driver and you'll pay lower rates.
- If your teen driver has completed a driver's education class in school, check to see if your insurance company offers any discounts for this.
- When buying a new policy, you do not want a gap in coverage. This lapse is viewed by insurance companies as a high risk, and you will pay more for your next policy.
- The advancement of car safety features such as traction control, stability control, front and side-impact air bags and all-wheel drive all help keep insurance costs down.
- Insurance companies pay attention to which vehicles are stolen the most, so if your car is frequently targeted by thieves, chances are good you will pay more for insurance if you live in certain parts of the country.
- If your insurance company allows driver-specific car rating, you can save money by rating any teenage drivers on low profile vehicles with either no physical damage coverage or very high deductibles.
- Being a homeowner can often get you a little discount on your auto insurance. Insuring you home with the same company as your autos can often get you even deeper discounts.
Step Three: Choose the Right Company for You
Choosing a new car insurance company is not easy. But hopefully you have a handful of quotes for your Sierra 1500 Classic that will give you a good idea of how much it will cost, as well as some idea of any coverage changes you may want to make.
Car insurance policies don't have to be cancelled at the renewal date, but just be sure the new policy starts the same day you cancel your old policy. This avoids any gaps in coverage between policies.
If the GMC Sierra 1500 Classic is a new purchase and you haven't had car insurance before, make sure you have coverage in place before driving off the lot. If you have other vehicles already covered, then you will have coverage for the new vehicle. Anytime you buy a vehicle, you want to make sure coverage is in place before driving off the lot. If you have a policy now, you will have at least liability coverage. But if you don't insure any vehicles with full coverage, then you will put your new Sierra 1500 Classic at risk as soon as you drive away.
Be sure to replace any old proof-of-insurance cards in your car. You must always have the current card in your vehicle as required by state law. SR-22 filings are for high risk drivers and ensure that you have met your state's financial responsibility requirements. If you have DUI, DWI or uninsured accident convictions, you may have to file an SR-22 with your state DMV.
For More Information
For more detailed car insurance topics, visit the Insurance Information Institute.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates