Three Steps to Paying Less for Geo Prizm Insurance
If shopping your car insurance around was fun, we'd do it much more often. But unfortunately, it's difficult for a lot of people and we always seem to pay more than we should. Finding insurance for your Geo Prizm that you can actually afford is probably no different.
Step One: Insurance Rate Comparison Quotes
If it's been a few years since you shopped for car insurance, you might still think the only way to buy is from a local agent. But you can now comparison shop and buy direct online!
All the major car insurance companies sell insurance for a Geo Prizm and you can compare their rates by entering your information only one time.
To begin, click on the link below and complete the short form. It only takes a few minutes and it's helpful to have your current policy handy if you have one.
Use the Same Coverages! It's really important that when doing multiple quotes for your Prizm that you use identical coverages for liability, comprehensive and collision. If you use different values, it's impossible to determine which company has the lower rates.
Step Two: How to Save on Prizm Insurance
There are many contributing factors that determine what you pay to insure your Geo. You can help yourself (and your wallet) by paying attention to the following rate factors.
- For some reason, car theives target particular makes and models more than others. If your Prizm is on the list of the top stolen cars, you might want to install an extra theft deterrent system just to be safe.
- Members of many professional organizations can receive discounts on car insurance, and if you're a senior citizen, that could earn you an additional discount.
- Air bags, antilock brakes, traction control, and stability control all help lower the cost of insurance due to reducing the risk of injury in an accident.
- Many insurance companies will give you a small discount if you've recently completed a driver's training course.
- Try to maintain a claim-free discount on your car insurance policy. Obviously you can't prevent large claims, but if they are smaller and you can afford to pay them out-of-pocket, do so.
- If switching companies, always have the effective date of the new policy be identical to the expiration date on the old policy. This prevents a lapse in coverage and companies charge higher rates if you have any lapses.
- Teen drivers are expensive to insure and the only way to lower your rates is to rate them on an older vehicle with basic liability coverage.
- Most insurance companies will give you a discount on your car insurance if you also own a home. Some go even farther and give you discounts if you package your homeowners and auto insurance with them.
- Most of us have received a ticket at one time or another. If you get a ticket for a minor violation, find out if there is a safe driving class you can take to keep the ticket off your driving record.
- How's your credit score? If it's good you will pay a lower rate than your poor credit counterparts. Work on improving weak credit and you will eventually see your car insurance bill go down.
- If you're willing to shoulder more of the cost at claim time, consider raising your comprehensive and collision deductibles. This can easily cut 30% or more from your policy premium.
Step Three: Bind Coverage and Cancel your Old Policy
If you have found a good price by comparing quotes and also made informed decisions regarding policy limits, deductibles and other policy options that are available, you can now purchase the policy and bind coverage.
If you didn't have a prior policy, then you can make the new policy effective any time. But if you're moving bewteen companies and don't want a lapse in coverage, make sure the effective date of the new policy is exactly the same as the cancellation date of the old policy.
Before you drive your Geo Prizm home, make sure you have a current car insurance policy in force. Coverage will extend to the new purchase from your policy, but if you don't have a policy then you have no protection. If your current policy has any vehicle with full coverage (comprehensive and collision), then your new Prizm will have that coverage extended to it. If you only have liability coverage on your policy, then you have no physical damage coverage on your new purchase.
After completing your policy purchase, you can print out the proof-of-insurance card to place in your car. Always keep the current card available in case requested by law enforcement or if you are in an accident. If an SR-22 is required due to a reckless driving conviction, DUI or conviction of driving without insurance, make sure your new company is aware of that. Not filing a court-ordered SR-22 can result in suspension of your driver's license.
Additional Insurance Information
The Insurance Information Institute website has a great library of car insurance topics that cover claims, replacement parts, rental cars and more.
Recent Blog Articles
- Insurance Rates Decline for Lincoln Mark VII Drivers
- Five Minute Guide to Lower Saturn SL Insurance on the Web
- Uncover the Best Insurance Rates on a Lexus IS 300
- Top 8 Ways to Save Money on Volvo V40 Insurance
- Isuzu Trooper II Drivers Find the Best Car Insurance Rates